AUGUST 5TH AND 6TH, 2017
9AM START. MONTAGUE RIVER, PE
Dragon boats are the largest flat-water racing canoes in the world. A crew of 16-20 paddlers (minimum of 6 females) paced by a drummer at the bow and guided by a steersperson (provided by the festival) at the stern combine power and rhythm to achieve maximum acceleration and speed over a 200-metre course.
Dragon boating is unique in that total novices can compete with very little training or instruction. A perfectly synchronized team is not only visually spectacular but almost always defeats a stronger but less coordinated competitor.
THIS FESTIVAL SERVES TO
- Raise funds for, and bring exposure to, charities and organizations that serve our community;
- Provide an opportunity for business and service organizations – both public and private sectors – to participate in this exciting team building sporting event;
- Share the tradition of Dragon Boat Racing with Canada’s diverse communities;
- Promote the goodwill of corporate sponsors to multicultural communities;
- Showcase the spirit of PEI’s multicultural communities as key part of Canada’s cultural mosaic;